Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Transcendent Living

The video we watched this week focuses on transcendent living. The possibility of living a life greater than the sum of our parts is a distinctly human trait. You never see a cocker spaniel sitting around wondering how it might become a great dane. Animals live instinctively into their being. But humans are invited to transcend what they are and become more.

The invitation to 'more than' is part of all our lives. We all spend our days in a very real, literal world. We have a family of origin, a cultural milieu, a body (that is a mixed blessing some days) and a collection of gifts and abilities and interests that show up every day in some way or another. Our world is in the here and now. And it is this here and now that is the raw material for transcendence.

I love the idea that God is alive in the ordinary fabric of our days. If you are reading Jean Pierre de Causade you will hear this over and over - the only place we can meet God is in the present moment. God is here with me while I type this blog. He is present when I walk down the hall. This moment is sacred because it contains life - my life! - and divine invitation and presence.

Tell me your thoughts on this. If you send me an email with your ideas I will copy it to this blog as you write it.

No comments:

Post a Comment